Truck accidents cause over 130,000 injuries every year, and approximately 5,000 of those result in death. There are several factors which contribute to the high rate of accidents and injuries caused by big-rigs and tractor-trailers. Some causes of truck accidents and injuries include:
- Turning: Large trucks make very wide turns. Truck drivers commonly use more than one lane of traffic to make turns, often resulting in passenger vehicles getting stuck in the wrong place and causing a collision.
- Fatigue: Some studies indicate many truck drivers commonly get only 4.8 hours of sleep per night. Although DOT regulations require adequate rest for drivers and limit the amount of time they spend on the road, many truck drivers ignore those regulations in order to stay on schedule or comply with company demands.
- Braking distance: Trucks are much heavier and larger than the average vehicle, requiring increased time and distances to come to a stop. A large number of truck accidents are rear-end collisions which, due to the size and weight of the semi-truck, can cause catastrophic damage and injuries.
- Jack-knife: When a truck tries to stop suddenly, the trailer can swing out of control to the side of the tractor, blocking multiple lanes of traffic and often causing multi-car pileups.
- Stimulants: Some truck drivers use stimulants, both legal and illegal, to help stay awake on the road. Unfortunately, as these stimulants wear off, it may cause the driver to fatigue quickly, decreasing awareness and increasing the likelihood of driver-caused truck accidents.
- Unsecured loads: When equipment or other loads are not properly secured, they can either fall off of the truck or shift weight suddenly, causing the driver to lose control of the truck. This negligence can cause serious injuries or death for other motorists who may be nearby.
The Rishwain Law Firm has helped many clients since 1963 to recover damages after a truck, big-rig, or tractor-trailer accident. If you have been injured in a truck related accident, call the Rishwain Law Firm today!
More questions about how to handle your Truck or Big-Rig Accident? Visit our Auto Accident FAQs for more information!